The reason for gutters and downspouts is to direct water and ice away from entryways and foundation. To assure the proper flow we pitch the gutters away from these areas as much as possible. Some houses are definitely a challenge due to landscape or design and architecture.
If water is still collecting near the foundation, downspout extensions (above or below ground) may be added to draw the water away from the house. The grade of the landscape should always be away from the foundation.
- Clean out leaves and debris regularly
- Install leaf guards
- Check for leaks
- Make sure gutters are secure
- Do not attempt to hammer away ice dams
- Melt ice dams with calcium chloride
- Use a snow rake to remove snow accumulation
To have your gutters and downspouts cleaned by a professional, call us at (248) 398-1050.